Penguins

Penguins

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Final reflection: Is it really the final or just the beginning?


Finally, the ES2007S module is over and I am writing the last post of the blog.  I am glad that I decided to take this module as I’ve gained valuable skills, knew thirteen new friendly friends and a benevolent teacher. Thanks to all of you for your collaboration, feedback and helps.
I’ve improved my interpersonal skills a lot, throughout peer teaching, writing proposal, and oral presentation.  Public speaking can be said as one of my weaknesses. I am afraid of it so much. Before the start of this semester, I only encountered two presentations- one lasted for only one minute and the other only 5 minutes. Before I came to NUS, I never had a chance to do presentations. That is part of the reason I decided to take ES2007s in order to overcome public-speaking-phobia. I spent my time carefully whether I should take this module or not. I read through and skim all the materials, previous blog posts and everything I could access to make the final decision to take. As an engineering student coming from a non-English-speaking country, I find myself weak in English. I was afraid that I could not be able to cope with the module. After analyzing the module’s description, I realized myself that this was the module I were looking for. So I made my decision to take and try my best.
After going through various skill builders, I enjoyed the module. My communication skills improved! I have my confidence to do presentation. Increasing my confidence is one of the greatest benefits. Throughout various projects and assignments, I’ve improved not only language skills but also people skills such as team building and some creative /artistic skills. Resume writing and mock jobs interview helped to prepare to expect real-time situation.  I am glad that I decided to take the module.
So, is it the end of the module? I believe it is not. It is just the initial step to learn and apply various communication aspects integrated into our life. The module itself ends but the content we learn will never end and it is just the beginning to explore, to improve and to apply more!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ye Thu Win, for expressing your satisfaction with the course. I'm glad you decided to take it and that you found it helpful for improving your skills. I can see many improvements in your means of expression, from writing to presenting. Of course, as you mention, this is just the beginning.

    I also appreciate you sharing information about your culture with us all. We all have learned a lot from each other.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thu Win!

    I love the title of your blog post! =D Yup, I would say it's just the beginning for many of us. I foresee lots of presentations waiting for us in the near future, be it for other modules, during internships or the workplace. It's good to hear that you have learnt a lot from the module. Bet we all did!

    Anyway, you mentioned that you were public speaking-phobia before this. In retrospect, you'll find yourself more confident, I guess. This is because I think you are able to speak confidently and calmly now. Only something to take note is that, it would be good not to fold your arms during the mock interview and presentation.

    That's all from me! Good luck in your finals! See you around in PGP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ye Thu Win, like you've said, this is just the beginning. I feel that skill builders and lessons are just to let you get a feel of things and roughly tell you about what you might expect. After that it is a whole new world of experience. One has to constantly work on all these skills. We might be able to do it currently because we are still doing it regularly but it could all disappear very quickly if one does not practise. So work hard and keep on practising what Brad and everyone else has taught us throughout this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ye Thu Win! It's interesting to have you in class! It was the first time I get to understand about the culture of Burmese and their languages. Thank you for sharing that with us. (: This is truly not the end of the class. This module is one that helps to equip us with the necessary skills and bring us up to another level to continue developing on the skills that we have learnt over these 13 weeks. (: I had received valuable feedbacks on my presentation skills on my blog and I am sure you received them too! Let's work hard and improve together! ((: Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ye Thu Win!

    I can personally testify to the fact that you've definitely improved your English - in writing and especially speaking. You enunciate your words better, and I saw the amount of hardwork you put in to improve on that aspect.
    It was good to have you in our group, Ye Thu Win because you were like the weight that kept us all from wasting too much time gossiping about our boyfriends. Haha! Jokes aside, you were really are technical trouble-shooting guy and you did a lot for our project - it wouldn't have been half as good without you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments.

    Brad: Thank you so much for your teaching. You are such a wonderful teacher in NUS.

    Without my new 13 friends, ES2007s could not be such an enjoyable module. Yeah… we all have learnt together various communication skills throughout the course.

    All the best for coming exams!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ye Thu Win :)

    The title of your post is very apt. I believe that it is the beginning for many of us. And we would learn to apply what we have learnt in our lives and in our professions. It has been great knowing you. Had fun preparing the interview with you to 'interrogate' the interviewees :))

    See you around :)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your title is very catchy indeed! =D Ranmali is right! You kept us grounded from swaying away with our usual rubbish! Anyway, judging from your blog posts and ur previous presentations, I'd say you have improved a great deal! Good luck in your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tiffany and Valarie. Glad to know that my title is attractive to you. Good luck in your coming exams also!

    ReplyDelete